Suddenly, on this side of the New Year, winter feels a lot shorter and show season feels a lot nearer. Which is awesome, except I am woefully underprepared in the equipment department. And I need your help to figure out exactly what I need!
Especially since I’ve decided on my colors! Of all the options, the one that I kept returning to was red, white and black. They’re classic, a pretty easy color to find in many different products, and those are Badger colors and U Rah Rah Wisconsin and all that.
So now I’ve started a list of all the things I’ll need to buy. Hear that? It’s my wallet crying. Just ignore it. Let’s move on, shall we?
- A coat that can work for both Dressage and Stadium. What are your go-to brands/styles here?
- White Dressage pad
- Maybe a Dressage bridle? Hoping to borrow this…and a Dressage saddle, too.
- A stock tie and pin.
- Cross country boots for Artie. Obviously in red and black. I like the Majyk Equipe ones but honestly I’m not sure if I need that level of boot just yet. What are some good options that are going to be good value (i.e. do their job well but not break the bank)?
- Black full-seats for me. I like these Smartpak ones. (Really I would like these Ariat ones but yeah I’m not dropping that kind of money on breeches when this list is already so long. But they’re so pretty. And I love the red accents.)
- I decided that if I go ahead and get the less-expensive but still-pretty-cool Smartpak breeches, I should get a red belt, so I found this C4 red and white striped one. Want. (And realistically won’t have trouble justifying it. Muahahaha.)
- A watch, maybe? I don’t know. I’m pretty sure I’m running Starter Novice so…how much will I need a watch, really?
- A pinny? Again, I don’t know. Is this something that you’re expected to provide yourself?
- An emergency info armband.
- Maybe a white A/P pad for stadium? Or do people use white fleece shaped pads? I have one of those…will I look like a total newb if I use it?
- Eventually will probably want a second pair of white breeches so I don’t have to use the same pair twice per show. But that will have to come later, like when I
find a good salehave gotten more of the required things on the list.
I already have white show shirts, a black and red saddle pad for cross country, white breeches, gloves, tall boots, a helmet and a safety vest.
Oh and I just bought this red long sleeve FITS Sea Breeze Shirt on clearance. Regularly $100 + shipping, I got it for $60 + shipping. I snapped up the last size medium in this color from Horseloverz. My love of Kastel Denmark cool shirts is well-documented but my favorite show shirt was a blue FITS one that I just sold since I need only white shirts now. Plus, I really like the contrasting patterns inside the collar and the zipper lining. Tres cute.
While I am minorly freaking about the amount of stuff I have to get/spend money on, I also know realistically I’ve done a good job of saving up for this so now I’m just trying to focus on having fun buying ALL THE THINGS.