My old helmet is looking pretty ragged. The velvet is wearing off and one of the ribbons in back has come loose so it flutters around like a bent feather when I ride. It’s pretty lame. Also probably not the safest, anymore. My birthday also happens to be coming up in about a month, so I want to pick out a new helmet to ask for.
I’ve done some research and have learned a bit about Charles Owen helmets since that seems to be pretty popular, but they also seem to run pretty expensive. I’m starting to wonder if hunting for the perfect helmet might be comparable to a quest for the Holy Grail. And then I realized that I have a whole community of horse people right here to ask for recommendations!
Here’s what I’m looking for in my ideal helmet:
- Can be used for schooling and showing (hunter/jumper)
- Does not break the bank, but is still good quality and will last
- Makes my head look nice/not humungous
- Safe and will protect my head if needed
- Adjustable so I can fit my hair inside or not, depending on the day (note: I have a lot of hair. A lot. So I’m not totally convinced I can find one that my hair fits comfortably under, and I’d be okay with that.)
Fellow bloggers, I ask of you: what are your recommendations for a great helmet? Are my expectations too high? (Nah. I believe in all of you and the existence of the perfect helmet.)