I love reading other bloggers’ answers to the questions posted each month on Viva Carlos. So, here are my 10 questions for October.
1. How many pairs of breeches/jods do you own? I have six pairs including my one pair of nice show breeches. I have one pair that I don’t really like because they slide down my butt so I’m always hoisting them up. In the warmer months I rotate between three pairs – black, hunter green and greige – and I have one pair of Kerrits fleece riding tights that I LOVE in the winter. I would literally wear them all day every day if I thought I could get away with it.
2. How many horses have you ridden? Whew, tough one. I was able to list out 44 horses’ names that I’ve ridden but I know I’m missing some. So, we’ll go with somewhere in the 55ish range.
3. How many trainers have you had? Six. Well, seven if you count my one semester of IHSA, but I don’t know that I do.
4. How many barns have you ridden at? Two. Again, three if you count one semester of IHSA.
5. What is the name of the horse you consider yourself to have the greatest bond with? Moses.
6. What is your favorite show name you’ve ever encountered? I love Cinnamon’s show name, Long Overdue For You. I’m also a fan of Catch My Drift.
7. What do you consider your greatest weakness or flaw in riding? I think sometimes I expect too much, too fast. That was probably more true as a kid/teenager, and I’ve grown to be very patient; but sometimes it still comes out in me and I want to push it a bit.
8. What do you consider to be your greatest strength? Determination and grit. It kind of goes along with the last question. Yes, sometimes I have a tendency to expect too much, but at the same time, I work really hard to get what I want. That means I work hard both at the barn and outside it so that I can support my
9. Have you ever leased a horse? Yes, more than one! My first lease was an old schoolie named Nikki. Then came Annie, a veteran Western Pleasure show horse; then Leo, arguably the biggest nutjob I’ve ever ridden.
10. What is the name of the first horse you rode? Other than the ponies that I sat on in preschool (I went to a farm for preschool; it was awesome), I think I took my first lesson on Lady. There are a number of old, infinitely patient school horses that I remember from when I started to ride, but I think she was the first.